The oldest section of the house, which we now call "The Pub", was built in 1756, the same year that Mozart was born and Thomas Jefferson turned 13. Joshua Hersey built the main house in 1793 in preparation for his marriage. Joshua also built the house opposite in 1832 for his brother Benjamin. Both houses are seen in the photo below, taken in the mid 1860s.
If you want proof of solid construction, think about who was around then. After his presidency, for example, John Adams returned to the neighborhood with Abigail and lived in what is now Quincy, just two towns away. We haven't heard that he once slept here, but who knows if maybe one day he stopped by for a cup of tea and discussions about crops and livestock? Timing works.
Enjoy the non-speculative history below.
Joshua Hersey and Lucy Jacob of Scituate were married in March of 1794.
Imagine in the Fall of 1793, while Joshua was building this house, Lucy stopped by to bring his lunch. Stepping through the door, she picked up a piece of chalk and wrote her name on the sheathing inside the unfinished wall.
Her signature then remained hidden inside that wall for 214 years
- until 2007 renovations.
That’s when we discovered “LUCY”.
Letter from Mrs Webster Hersey to William Coombs Codman to accept a house party invitation while laying out her family's history of
the house and surrounding area.
January 11th 1909.
This brochure advertised to potential buyers when Captain Gerald Thomson
and his wife Alice bought the house with the surrounding 72 acres in 1938.